Nutrition and Food Science Specialist
Company: Cognitive Leap Inc
Based in the U.S. and China, Cognitive Leap is a technology company focused on improving brain health worldwide. We use cutting-edge technology solutions developed in the West with participation from top institutions globally.
Office Location: Pasadena CA
This position researches and designs nutrition training materials for cognitive enhancing programs; develops and implements dietary-care plans and provides nutritional counseling for enhancing cognitive function (MCI, Alzheimer’s Disease, ADHD, Stroke Rehab, etc.). This position is further responsible for screening and assessing clients/patients for nutritional risk factor; provides nutrition counseling for those who require more in-depth nutrition intervention.
Essential responsibilities include the following:
- Research and design nutrition training materials for cognitive enhancing program, which covers categories including but not limited to: nutrition and health basic information, food labeling and food safety, macro and micro nutrients, nutrition and brain health, nutrition with aging, phytochemicals and prevention.
- Assess nutritional needs, diet restrictions and current health plans to develop and implement dietary-care plans and provide nutritional counseling for enhancing cognitive function (MCI, Alzheimer’s Disease, ADHD, Stroke Rehab, etc.).
- Advise patients and their families on nutritional principles, dietary plans and diet modifications, and food selection and preparation.
- Counsel individuals and groups on basic rules of good nutrition, healthy eating habits, and nutrition monitoring to improve their quality of life.
- Consult with physicians and health care personnel to determine nutritional needs and diet restrictions of patient or client.
- Manage Supplements and Food Product Development program: design the formula and coordinate private label company to manufacture the products; design food quality control system-HACCP Plan.
- Support business development of nutrition and diet program: scale up by developing App, cooperation with hospitals and aging nursing homes, O2O food delivery system.
- Provide nutrition screens, assessments, and counseling for clients.
- Create and conduct nutrition group education programs for clients; develop educational materials and advertising for group nutrition classes; may develop and provide educational workshops to community-based organizations and hospitals on issues related to nutrition and cognitive functions.
- Adhere to workplace policies and procedures, including confidentiality, documentation, channels of communication, workplace culture, dress code, and conflict resolution.
Minimum Requirements for the Position:
We normally require for the Nutrition Specialist position a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, Food Science or a closely related field; a Master’s degree is preferred. In order to duly perform the job duties described above, a qualified candidate must demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
- Ability to read and evaluate technical information.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to multi-task and meet expected timelines.
- Able to critically evaluate emerging science.
- Ability to critically evaluate study design and interpret data.
- Proven experience performing nutrition counseling and knowledge of or interest in complementary therapies.
- Good verbal, written, computer, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Bilingual in Chinese/English a significant plus.
- Independently solves problems that regularly arise, choosing solutions from a variety of established standards or procedures.